Sunday 27 May 2012

REST IN PEACE - Chris "Stazza" Stasinowsky (9 October 1960 - 14 February 1988) - includes readers' comments and comment by Rick (Stazza's brother)

Leederville Oval on a fine winter's day (6/7/2011). Chris "Stazza" Stasinowsky played some of his greatest WAFL games for West Perth on this ground including his eight-goal effort from half-forward on 3 May 1980 when West Perth defeated East Fremantle 26.24 to 11.9. Perhaps one of the best footballers never to play VFL/AFL (Ross Gibbs was another), his death was a tragedy.
Rest in Peace - Chris "Stazza" Stasinowsky (suicide)
Born 9 October 1960.
Died 14 February 1988, aged 27, Nollamara, Western Australia.
(Death information supplied by WPFC historian Brian Atkinson by personal e-mail, 2 July 2012.)
West Perth, South Fremantle, Perth, and South Adelaide.
Chris Stasinowsky played 51 games for West Perth between 1979-82 and kicked 133 goals.
He also played 31 games for Perth between 1985-86.
He also played 26 games for South Fremantle between 1982-84.
He also played 18 games for South Adelaide (SANFL) in 1987.
WIKIPEDIA lists Stasinowsky as one of South Adelaide's "notable" players although he only played one season for the club.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Adelaide_Football_Club

"Stazza" made his debut for West Perth during the very bleak 1979 season for the club when it finished seventh (out of eight). Actually two highlights of this dark season were the debuts of exciting youngsters Ross Gibbs and Chris Stasinowsky. Stazza shone in the midfield for West Perth and blended well with the club's existing group of midfielders which included the ex-Norwood centreman David Palm from 1980-82 and the ex-Hawthorn premiership player Peter Murnane in 1982. Stazza was one reason the club progressed to the 1982 preliminary final. One of Stazza's best performances for West Perth was his eight-goal effort from half-forward on 3 May 1980 when West Perth defeated the reigning premiers East Fremantle 26.24 (180) to 11.9 (75) at Leederville Oval (Brian Atkinson, It's a Grand Old Flag, 2008, p. 189). Stazza played strongly in the 1986 first semi-final for Perth versus Claremont and in the 1986 preliminary final for Perth versus Subiaco. I think West Perth lost out by Gibbs and Stazza leaving the club at the prime of their careers. More importantly, it was extremely saddening to hear of Stazza's suicide.

FOOTNOTE: The late West Perth and South Adelaide player should not be confused with the very much alive Chris Stasinowsky who kicked nine goals for Cowwarr against Gormandale in North Gippsland (Victorian country) football on 3 June 2012 when Cowwarr won 28.20 (188) to Gormandale's 8.3 (51). See article "Saints sail to victory" by Lauren Carey, 4 June 2012.
http://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/saints-sail-to-victory/2580360.aspx

1 Online comment from SWANS&SOUTH (5 June 2008): "Yeah the late STAZZA RIP, what a sad loss...he had some talent that fella...took some screamers at Freo Oval…" 
[http://www.footygoss.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/9478/P15/].
2 Online comment from TUNDRAWOLF (7 July 2011): "Poor old Stazza was a troubled soul. I remember hearing of his suicide when I was living in Adelaide. It was on the news in Adelaide because I think he was playing for South Adelaide at the time, very sad. On his day he was brilliant, I remember a game against Subi when he kicked 11 or 12 goals playing for SF" [http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/wafl-video-archive-up-and-running.842388/].

3 Online comment from DARREN (Editor, ABORIGINAL FOOTBALL, 29 June 2012): "I'm a Claremont fan from when I was little, but West Perth's Chris Stasinowsky stood out as a good player, plus he had a shock of red hair (bless him!). Anyway, I vividly remember hearing the news that he died on Rottnest Island, I remember it being after the season (not sure what year, but early 80s for sure) and as I've gotten older I realise it had to be a post-season footy trip, I think 'drowning' was the cause. I really haven't seen anything on Chris, either from the Falcons or in general" [by personal email]. 
Web address for ABORIGINAL FOOTBALL:
www.AboriginalFootball.sportingpulse.net

4 Online Comment from Miss Brahms (name changed, 18 August 2012)Hi,

"I have just been sorting out my old photo and a certain photo reminded me of fun days in my youth. I thought of Stazza so I googled his name and found your blog. Thanks. At the time Stazza died all my friends heard terrible stories  and gossip of how  and why he died. We all have wondered how and why? 

Way back some 25- 30 years ago  a girl  that I shared a flat with went to teachers college with Stazza, we used to go out to parties in a group, I thought Stazza was a hunk, good looking and good bod.....say no more. He was so talented and I loved to watch him play footy. RIP Staz" [by personal email]

Lathlain Park can bar, Perth v Swan Districts, 2/7/2011. Stazza also played for Perth in 1985-86 (31 games) just prior to the formation of West Coast. He was one of many players who swapped between Perth and West Perth in the 1970s and 1980s.

7 comments:

  1. I loved my brother and I will always miss him he was a great man and a role model for me and many others R.I.P

    By Rick Stasinowsky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a video of my brother Chris playing footy but I don't know how to upload it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rick, Thanks so much, mate, for your posts on my website here. I really feel it is a honour that you appreciate the site. If you upload videos on YouTube I can cite the URL here. Also if you want to write your own RIP piece for your brother send it to me at busukwebzine666@yahoo.com and I will publish it here on the site (along with any other pictures you may have). Kieran James.

      Delete
  3. Tom Stasinowsky1 June 2014 at 05:57

    Hi my name is Tom Stasinowsky son of Rick and nephew of Chris. I play football every Sunday and train twice a week for Ocean Ridge Under 13's. I play Full Forward week in week out. I never met my uncle Chris but if I did I think we would of really got along and I could have learned a lot from him. I have seen him play over DVD's and things like that and he seemed like a cracker of a player. I really hope some day if I am good enough I can play for one of the teams he played for in the WAFL and to keep the Stasinowsky name alive for WAFL football. I love the Dockers and I watch them play every week. Last year I broke my left collar bone playing football and I missed the rest of the season. And the most painful thing was sitting there watching my team play without me. Watching some of my teammates only go in for the ball with 60 or 70% effort killed me and I made a promise to myself and that promise was when I get back to never ever give up or drop your head as long as you don't have a broken bone your fine to go in 110% every single time. To be half the man my uncle was would be a dream come true to me.

    Thanks for your time.
    Tom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great message Tom. I saw Stassa play a lot. He was a genius but never could reach his full potential because of his bigger than life attitude. I always thought he had bigger things on his mind. His passing was a big shock to me.

      Delete
    2. Good on you Tom, I go for Swans myself but your uncle Chris was a gun. RIP Stazza :(

      Delete
  4. Saw most of his 51 games for west perth and on his day he was as good as anyone who has ever played aussie rules sad that he never fulfilled his unlimited potential but at least he played at the top level if only briefly

    ReplyDelete

OPINION: On the Prison Bars: From Destiny by Dr Norman Ashton (2018), p. 153.

From Destiny by Dr Norman Ashton (2018), p. 153: Given who the opponent was to be in 1997, a letter of 1 September 1995 from Collingwood Pre...